Is Zumba Good For Weight Loss?
Thanks to the rhythm and intensity of the Zumba dancing routine, we're able to lose weight while having fun and that's what makes it ideal for those who dread gym machines.
In order to lose weight, people often try multiple methods such as dieting, going to the gym, taking supplements and more. On many occasions they don’t even feel comfortable with their choice, they see it as an obligation and ultimately stop doing it. This doesn’t mean that they don’t put enough effort in or that they don’t want to achieve weight loss, it means that they just haven’t found the right method. If you’ve tried everything and nothing seems to work, keep reading! Zumba might be for you.
A Latin treasure
Zumba is a workout created during the 90s by Alberto “Beto” Pérez, that involves dancing to maintain a healthy body. Sessions are one hour long and feature different rhythms such as, salsa, merengue, bachata, samba, among others.
The name Zumba comes from the verb ‘zumbar’ (to vibrate). This is a reference to the movements that the body makes to the rhythm of the music. Zumba strategically works different parts of the body through resistance, muscle mass, strength and flexibility.
Everybody is welcome to do Zumba
There are different types of Zumba and all of them ease the weight loss process. In only one session you’ll find low and high-intensity-level exercises, which makes it a manageable workout, meaning that your body won’t feel exhausted in the middle of a session.
What’s great about this workout is that it’s inclusive of all ages, from the little people to the older people. Plus, this is a ‘camouflaged’ workout, since all you have to do is dance. It’s very different from being in the gym and having to complete sets and repetitions of an exercise; with Zumba you just have to let yourself go, and dance!
Losing weight with Zumba
Zumba’s purpose is to maintain a fit and healthy body through its dance routines. In only one routine there’s cardio, physical conditioning, balance and flexibility combined. Is Zumba a good way to lose weight? Absolutely! There are different types of Zumba that focus on tackling different sets of muscles and we’ll guide you through the most effective ones to lose weight.
Zumba Step is an excellent workout to lose weight, it combines regular Zumba exercises with step aerobics. This last feature intensifies the work you do with your legs and glutes. Besides toning your entire body it has other benefits to help you to lose weight:
- Cardio: this routine is designed to do cardio. Cardiovascular exercises make the loss of body fat much easier.
- Burn calories: in a Zumba Step session you may burn up to 500 calories!
- Sculpt your body: doing step aerobics and hip movements help to tone and sculpt your body.
- Improves coordination: dance steps and aerobic steps will help to improve your coordination.
Zumba Sentao is one of the funnest and most dynamic types of workout. In this case you use a chair as your companion, and no, the chair is not for resting; it will be your dance partner, a tool to do push-ups, squats, etc. Among its advantages for losing weight you’ll find:
- Increased resistance: because it is a high intensity session, it increases your resistance during every workout.
- Defined muscles: tones and defines the muscles in your whole body.
- Burns fat: the combination of strength and resistance causes you to burn fat like crazy.
For those who want to have fun and tone their muscles at the same time, Zumba toning is ideal. Zumba toning is known for the use of lightweight dumbbells of up to 1,5 kilograms. The dumbbells help tone the muscles. Moreover, other benefits of Zumba toning are:
- Improved posture: the use of dumbbells added to the specific dance steps during the session will help with your posture.
- Develops your rhythm: have fun using the dumbbells as maracas!
- Improved joint mobility: strengthens and improves joints.
- Toning: tones arms, abs and other muscles. The best thing about this, is that muscles won’t look disproportionate to the body, given the natural look of nicely toned muscles.
Whether you choose traditional Zumba – or any type of Zumba that we just mentioned, fun is guaranteed. Not only will you lose weight, you’ll also release endorphins and put stress aside. Zumba can burn from five-hundred and up to eight-hundred calories, depending on the type of session and on the effort that you put in.
Zumba is like a party that provides ability and health to the body. You should enjoy it and mix it with a healthy diet to help you see weight loss results, toning, increase in flexibility and resistance, and improving your coordination, as well as your rhythm. Take your desire to dance and your good vibes to each session: your body will thank you.