How Does the Ketogenic Diet Work? Is it Harmful?
Do you know if the ketogenic diet is harmful? Surely, in the last few months, you’ve heard about the ketogenic diet more than once? This diet promises a quick weight loss without feeling hungry and without the feared rebound effect afterward. Next, we’ll explain all the details of this diet, made famous by many celebrities that have adopted this diet.
Besides, its main principles, we’ll analyze the possible side effects of eating this way. Is the ketogenic diet as beneficial as it seems? Does it hide any dangers?
What is the ketogenic diet?
The ketogenic diet is a way of eating that has the main objective of losing weight. This type of nutrition has the main nutrients of good fats and proteins. Both guarantee it’s about a satiating diet and that the person on this diet will not feel hungry.
On the other hand, the ketogenic diet limits carbohydrates and sugars. Besides, it limits certain fruit and vegetable intake, with the purpose of taking the body to a ketosis state.
Ketosis is the key to this diet and the reason it’s so effective. Since the main nutrients the body receives are fats, it converts them into ketones and burns them to provide energy at a physical and mental level. Carbohydrates should perform this function, however since they’re restricted in this diet, fats are used.
The consequence of the ketosis process is the quick loss of fat reserves in your body. Therefore, you achieve yearned for weight loss.
Is it effective?
Undoubtedly, the ketogenic diet is effective. As we’ve explained, this type of diet is based on ketosis which is a scientifically proven process.
Besides, following this diet produces benefits for your body that go beyond weight loss. For example, the following:
- Reduction of glucose in the blood: the intake of sugar is completely restricted in a ketogenic diet. This provokes that the only sugar you consume is contained naturally in the food, which is healthier.
- Hunger control: the ketogenic diet is a fulfilling diet. This is one of the keys that make it an effective way of eating. By eating healthy fats and proteins, people who follow this diet may consume abundant meals and not feel hungry until it’s time for the next meal.
- Benefits in cases of mental illness: several investigations have pointed out that this type of nutrition aids improvement or at least prevents the development of mental illnesses such as Alzheimer, Parkinson or childhood epilepsy. The ketones act as neuroprotectors which aid the well being of these people.
Can the ketogenic diet be harmful to your body?
How this diet is going to be followed is the most important aspect. Therefore, it’s fundamental to follow it under professional supervision. He’ll identify the limit between losing weight and weakening your health.
The ketogenic diet is effective for short periods of time. The initial weight and metabolism of each person determine the length of this period. A prolonged period of time produces a series of consequences. Next, we explain some of them:
- Constipation episodes: fiber is essential for a proper bowel movement. Fiber is found mostly in carbohydrates which are restricted in this diet.
- Tiredness sensation: carbohydrates are the nutrients that provide us with energy all day long. Although through ketosis your body uses accumulated fat, in the long term you’ll notice the absence of this nutrient
In conclusion, a ketogenic diet is an option that allows you to lose weight in a short period of time but it may be harmful. Keep in mind in any case, that the best way to reach your ideal weight is by following a healthy lifestyle and practicing sports regularly.