How to Make Guacamole
Guacamole is one of the most popular salsas to eat with tortilla chips or almost any kind of meat. It's also one of the easiest to prepare.
Guacamole is the quintessential Mexican salsa. Its flavor is so delicious that it is international and eaten around the world. We will show you how to make guacamole, its properties, as well as a variety of ways to eat it.
- Two ripe avocados
- One ripe tomato
- Half an onion
- Half a lemon
First, remove the skin from both of the ripe avocados and remove the flesh. Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash it with a fork. It is important to use ripe avocados so that you can mash them easily. It will also give you a creamier texture.
Next, peel the tomato and chop it into small pieces. Do the same with the onion. Add them to the bowl with the mashed avocados. Mix and mash the tomato and onion as well.
Chop the cilantro and juice the lemon. Gradually add the ingredients to the bowl and continue mixing. Finally, taste the guacamole and add a little salt. And just like that, without mess or the need to heat anything, you just made a healthy guacamole.
Properties of guacamole
As you have seen from the recipe, guacamole is mostly avocado. This fruit is originally from South America and has many properties, which is why it is recommended. Below are some of the benefits of avocados:
- High in healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Even if we tend to think negatively of fat, it is not the case here. Your body needs fat. And avocado is a great source of healthy fat.
- Rich in potassium, which regulates blood pressure and facilitates digestion.
- Contain magnesium, which is essential for bones and teeth to prevent cavities and osteoporosis. They also help to soothe the nervous system.
- Filling. Avocados are high in calories compared to other fruit. This is not a bad thing; it is due to their high concentration of healthy fat. As such, avocados are one of the most filling fruits that will not leave you feeling hungry in a matter of minutes.
In addition to avocado, the other ingredients in guacamole are also healthy. It is a salsa, mostly made up of fruit accompanied by vegetables. Add on the fact that there is no oil in this recipe and it is easy to see how healthy it really is.
What goes along with guacamole?
Guacamole is typically eaten with tortilla chips. However, there are many other ways to eat it. Below, we explore quick, simple, and healthy ways to eat guacamole.
- On toast with salmon. Slice a piece of crusty bread and toast it. Add a thick layer of guacamole and add two slices of smoked salmon. Sprinkle with a little parsley and you have a healthy dinner.
- In salads. Dice pineapple, tomatoes, avocado, a cooked potato, cucumber, and add olives. Then add a couple of tablespoons of guacamole and stir well to cover all the ingredients. You can eat this salad alone or use it as a filling in fajitas.
- In Hamburgers. You can add guacamole to any hamburger. It is a perfect complement to meat, cheese, onion, and any other ingredient you want to include. What’s more, it is much healthier than mayonnaise and other similar condiments.
As you can see, there are a variety of ways that you can eat guacamole. We have shown you examples with fish, meat, and vegetables and the possibilities are endless.
If you like condiments and eat them often, we recommend that you make a batch ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. This homemade recipe is a great alternative to the ready-made salsas available at the store.