Try This Yummy Potato Salad
These delicious potato salad recipes are perfect for the summer and you can also add extra ingredients of your choosing.
Let’s take a look at the properties that salads offer. Here we give you two recipes with potatoes as the main ingredient. Consider making these and increase your repertoire of recipes with the preparation of potato salad.
Potato salad is less common than pasta or legumes, but not because it’s less healthy. Besides, it’s very appealing for the hotter months of the year. Most salads that have potatoes as their main ingredient have very few calories.
Properties of potato salad
One of the healthiest ways to prepare potatoes is to simply cook them. In this way the calories are minimal and their properties remain intact. Potatoes contain vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates. In addition, they are a very effective diuretic. Because of all of this, they are a recommended food in our regular diet.
Potato salads tend to include vegetables. These foods provide us with vitamins and minerals and a low-calorie count. Sometimes they also include pickled items and fruits. These other two foods are very healthy and are recommended for any type of diet.
As we mentioned before, the majority of potato salads contain very few calories. They are good for people who are on a diet and need to lose weight. In this case, it’s important not to include foods that are unhealthy and dressings that are high in calories in the salads. If we opt for these ingredients, it doesn’t do any good to eat salad.
Spanish potato salad
This is the popular version, but also the least healthy. We’ll give you the recipe for the traditional recipe, but if you want, you can make a lighter version. Instead of using mayonnaise, you can use plain yogurt without sugar. You can also prepare it with some of the lighter dressings that we mention here.
Spanish potato salad includes vegetables for variety and added nutrients. You can vary this with other vegetables if desired.
Ingredients for two people:
- 1 potato
- 1 cup of peas
- 2 carrots
- 12 green olives
- 6 green beans
- Red pepper
1. Boil a pan of water and add the potato, the carrot, the peas, and the green beans. Use a fork to test when they are cooked.
2. While the ingredients are cooking, slice the olives and cut the red pepper into strips.
3. Once the potato, the carrots, the peas, and the beans are cooked, chop them.
4. Mix all of the ingredients together and add the mayonnaise little by little, so that it blends with all of the ingredients. Decorate with red pepper.
5. Store in the refrigerator.
Potato, cucumber and octopus salad
This other version of potato salad doesn’t require as much cooking, and when you try it, you’ll love it! Besides, it’s very healthy because all of its ingredients have a lot of nutrients and few calories. Below we’ll explain how to make this simple and quick recipe.
Try this completely unique potato salad which includes octopus and cucumber for a cool summer dish.
Ingredients for two people:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 a pound of cooked octopus
- black olives
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the potatoes and cook them for 10 minutes. To see if they are cooked, pierce them with a knife or a fork. Let them cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. You can cook the potatoes ahead of time for faster preparation.
2. Peel the cucumber and cut into cubes. To avoid it from becoming bitter, you can leave it in the bowl with salt. After a few minutes rinse away the salt and place the cucumber in a bowl.
3. Add black olives and the octopus to the bowl. You can use fresh or frozen octopus and then cook it yourself.
4. Next, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Try to keep them the same size as the cucumber cubes.
5. Lastly, add the dressing. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and a little vinegar.