Benefits of Calisthenics
Currently, there’s a huge variety of exercises and sports available, to match any person’s taste. Calisthenics is one that meets very specific workout needs and preferences. Let’s learn more about the benefits of this unique workout.
What is Calisthenics?
The word calisthenics comes from the Greek word, kallos, which means beauty, and sthenos, which means strength. Normally, this type of exercise uses strict body weight workouts, with no equipment at all. Although these workouts were originally used as a way to get ready for before more intense activity, it’s since evolved into much more than a warm-up.
Another popular exercise, known as street workout, which involves working out outside, using benches or playground equipment, actually comes from calisthenics. You can even find bars and other equipment installed in parks and other areas around the world. Parks around the Unites States, Europe, and some Asian countries have installed public equipment so that everyone can practice calisthenics for free.
Rather focusing on power, this workout focuses on strengthening and stretching specific muscle groups. It not only improves muscle strength, elasticity, tone, and volume, but also balance and agility.
Anyone can do calisthenics, regardless of their age or current physical condition. It’s even beneficial for kids, helping them to develop and grow. But of course, the exercises need to be adapted to each person, increasing or decreasing the difficulty depending on their ability and experience.
Benefits of calisthenics
Physical activity, no matter what type of workout or sport, is practically always beneficial for your body, and this workout is no exception. Calisthenics has plenty of health benefits. Although there are some very difficult, complex exercises, they’re all possible with consistent practice and determination. As they say, nothing worth having ever comes easy!
Let’s take a look at some of the ways calisthenics benefits your entire body, inside and out:
- Better general fitness. Training in a gym usually involves going from machine to machine, in a circuit to work each specific muscle group. Calisthenics, on the other hand, works the entire body, strengthening and toning all muscles. Because of that, it can really improve your appearance.
- Strengthens muscles . While calisthenics might improve your outer appearance, it also improves you on the inside, as it strengthens muscles and improves their flexibility.
- Variable resistance. Although the basic exercises may seem difficult now, you’ll soon need a more difficult workout. Calisthenics exercises have many, more difficult variations to help you to continue to improve.
- Burn fat. Although some may think it’s a gentle exercise, calisthenics are actually quite intense, making it great for burning fat. That being said, if weight loss is your main goal, you may want to focus on other workouts such as HIIT, Zumba or squash.
- Flexibility. When muscles are stretched to their maximin length, as in calisthenics, they slowly become more flexible. It also prevents a sedentary lifestyle and muscle atrophy.
- Improves posture. In many cases, poor posture can lead to muscle pain. In response to that pain, we tend use even worse posture that can cause problems in the long run. Calisthenics strengths muscles, which helps improve posture and avoid back pain.
- Strengthens joints. This exercise strengthens the joints and improves their range of motion, which lowers your risk of injury.
- Improves mood. And like all exercise, calisthenics releases endocrines and serotonin that creates feelings of well-being and happiness.
If we had to sum up the benefits of calisthenics in one sentence, it would be the famous phrase, “healthy body, healthy mind.” Try this unique workout and enjoy all its health benefits.