3 Recipes High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for the proper function of our bodies. We are going to give you some recipes that are high in omega-3. You will see that these are very versatile recipes that can be used as lunches, dinners, snacks or even for special occasions. Best of all, every recipe here can be prepared in less than half an hour.
You might also like: Delicious Foods That Are Rich In Omega-3
Stuffed eggs with salmon
Stuffed eggs are one of the most traditional dishes in Spanish cuisine. There are many ways to make them, but today we are going to focus on one recipe that’s high in omega-3 fatty acids. For this recipe, we will use a food that has one of the highest omega-3 contents: salmon.
Ingredients (serves four people):
- Begin by boiling the eggs in a pot of water. When boiling, turn the eggs every minute. This way, the yolk will stay in the middle and they will be easier to stuff later. After 10 minutes, remove the eggs from the water and let them cool.
- Peel the eggs and slice them in half. With the help of a knife, mash the yolks and set a spoonful aside for later use. Dice the lettuce and salmon. Save 12 slices of salmon to decorate the eggs.
- Now, mix the mashed yolk with the diced lettuce and salmon. Add mayonnaise until it becomes a denser mixture. Use a spoon to stuff the eggs with this filling.
- Lastly, decorate the eggs using the slices of salmon. On top, sprinkle the egg yolk that we set previously set aside.
Walnut and sardine salad
This delicious salad is perfect as a main dish. Furthermore, it contains two ingredients that are high in omega-3: walnuts and sardines. If you want to make a complete and healthy salad, keep reading and we will explain how.
- Firstly, wash and cut some lettuce and put it into a bowl.
- Second, add cherry tomatoes (cut in half) and some fresh cheese.
- Add walnuts and sardines to make this salad rich in omega-3 fatty acids. You can simply use canned sardines. In this case, we will cut them in two or three pieces and set aside the oil.
- Next, add pickled cucumbers or olives. Once you have all the ingredients in the bowl, toss the salad.
- Lastly, we will dress the salad. We will need a pinch of salt and some of the oil that we set aside previously from the can of sardines.
It’s that simple and fast to have a recipe rich in omega-3 fatty acids! You can modify the salad to your taste. For example, you can add cucumber, hard boiled egg or some cooked pasta.
You might also like: Waldorf Salad
Grilled mussels in white sauce
Ingredients (serves four):
- 2.2 pounds of mussels
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 0.8 pints of milk
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Olive oil
- Firstly, wash the mussels. Start by removing the imperfections using a knife. Then, boil a few centimeters of water in a pot and add the mussels. After a few minutes, the mussels will have opened and you can strain them. Remove one of the two shells from each mussel and leave the other shell attached. Always leave whichever shell is cleaner and smoother.
- Set aside the mussels. Dice the onion, the green bell pepper, and the garlic. Fry them in a pan and when they are almost done, add the finely diced tomato. While this is cooking, start preparing the white sauce.
- In another frying pan, add two tablespoons of butter and when it’s melted, add the flour.
- Next, stir and add half of the milk. After a few seconds, gradually add the remaining milk. When the mixture thickens, mix it with the sautéed vegetables that we prepared previously.
- Cover the mussels with the white sauce and place them in the oven for 5 minutes to be cooked au gratin.
- Lastly, when the mussels are golden, they are ready to serve. Enjoy!
More recipes high in omega-3 fatty acids
There are many more recipes high in omega-3 fatty acids. We encourage you to experiment with your own recipes adding the ingredients that we have mentioned. This is a great way to increase the omega-3 levels in your homecooked meals!It might interest you...