False Broccoli Pesto
Nutritious and easy to find, false broccoli pesto is a delicious recipe. Enjoy it raw in a salad or as an ingredient in any recipe, this sauce provides many benefits.
A delicious false broccoli pesto is a practical recipe for lunch or dinner. It’s especially practical because you can store it in the refrigerator for use on busy days when you don’t have enough time to cook. False broccoli pesto is also a good side dish to serve when receiving unexpected visitors.
So, why’s it called “false pesto”? This is to differentiate it from Italian basil pesto. Broccoli pesto is inspired by the Italian recipe, excluding the broccoli, all the other ingredients are the same.
False broccoli pesto recipe
It’s a very simple, fast and economical dish to prepare and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. It’s a dish that is especially suitable for those who are not inclined to spend hours in the kitchen.
- 1 medium sized broccoli
- 3 leaves of basil
- 1.7 ounces of Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 ounces of nuts, almonds or seeds ( a single species or mix)
- 3.5 ounces of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Wash the broccoli and remove its thick stalk.
- Put the broccoli in a grinder or food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Process or grind all of the ingredients together until you obtain the desired consistency. There are people who like it to be thicker while others prefer a grainy or creamy pesto.
The dish is now ready to serve or to store.
- Use cooked broccoli. Steam or lightly roast it in the oven, by placing it in the oven at medium heat for approximately twenty minutes. Then, follow the recipe above.
- To prepare a false vegan broccoli pesto, all you need to do is remove the Parmesan cheese. It can be substituted by vegan cheese which is prepared with a base of brewer’s yeast.
Broccoli pesto can be stored in the refrigerator. Take some safety precautions if you plan on storing your false broccoli pesto.
- Thoroughly wash the jar that you’re planning to use and if possible spray it with a little alcohol to sterilize it.
- Storing the pesto in many small jars is better than storing it in one large container. By storing it this way the risk of contamination is reduced.
- Cover the jars properly. Otherwise, fungi may grow on the upper layer.
- If you plan to store the broccoli pesto for a long time, it is best to store it in the freezer.
Uses of false broccoli pesto
Lovers of this dish find new ways to use it every day. It is a very versatile sauce that integrates well with other flavors. Here are a few ways you can use your false broccoli pesto:
- Pasta with broccoli pesto. Any pasta goes along well with broccoli pesto. Pasta is known to enhance pesto’s flavor.
- Risotto with broccoli pesto. Risotto lovers can use this kind of pesto to elaborate a tasty dish.
- Salmon with broccoli pesto. Grilled fish seasoned with this tasty sauce is an exquisite option for demanding palates.
- Chicken stuffed with broccoli pesto. A simple chicken breast can be enriched in an extraordinary manner by filling it with false broccoli pesto.
- Mushrooms with broccoli pesto. This variant is ideal for vegans. The taste of mushrooms blends quite well with pesto. Brown the mushrooms in a griddle or pan before seasoning them with the sauce.
- Cod paella with broccoli pesto. This is an original dish that can satisfy fish lovers.
The World Health Organization advises consuming at least thirteen ounces of broccoli at least three times a week. This false pesto recipe is a great way to include broccoli in your family’s diet.