Health Benefits of Butter
Butter is one of the most common foods, particularly when it comes to breakfast. Butter on toast, with jelly or sugar is a breakfast we’ve all enjoyed at least once. Generation after generation, it’s still a go-to ingredient for breakfast. In this article we share some of the health benefits of butter.
Is butter healthy?
The content of butter is mainly fat. In fact, about 80 percent of its composition is animal-derived fat. The other 20 percent is water, and vitamins: A, E, D and K.
The fact that this food doesn’t contain protein, carbohydrates or any other type of nutrient, raises the question about whether it’s a healthy product or not. In reality, there’s no problem in eating it with bread for breakfast or as a snack. The only point to keep in mind, is the quantity that we’re eating it in, given that this food is high in calories.
If you want to maintain a healthy weight without giving up butter, you must know that it is possible. On the market, you’ll find different types of this product, meaning that you’ll be able to buy the one that fits your diet and goals. The most common types of butter are the following:
- Low fat. The amount of saturated fats is lower in this type of butter than in regular butter. It’s recommended for those who want to reduce the calories in their diet.
- Butter with olive oil. As we mentioned earlier, butter is mainly fat. If part of this fat comes from olive oil, then it’s a healthier option. This type of butter is usually more expensive, but the quality of the product is definitely worth it.
- Low sodium. Eating more than five grams of salt per day, is bad for your health. Buying foods that are low in salt is a great way to reduce your daily intake of sodium. This type of butter is also recommended for those who suffer from high blood pressure.
As you can see, the properties of butter change, depending on the type of product. Whether you choose one or another, keep in mind that you must always eat it in moderation, in spite of it being healthy.
Health benefits of butter
As we mentioned above, butter is mainly fat and it contains these vitamins:
- A. Essential for the health of soft tissues such as skin and mucosa. It’s also important for the health of bones and eyesight.
- E. Known for its antioxidant properties. It also strengthens nails and hair. Moreover, it contributes to the functions of the immune and circulatory system.
- D. Fundamental for bone strength. This is due to it being responsible for calcium absorption. It also improves blood circulation and supports the work of the heart.
- K. Vitamin K’s main ‘task’ is helping with coagulation. Therefore, it’s an essential vitamin for the correct development of the body. It’s also recommended for the elderly since it strengthens the bones.
Even though it’s found in small quantities, butter also contains iron. Iron contributes to transporting oxygen and carbon dioxide, and it’s the protagonist in cellular respiration. All playing a very important role in blood circulation.
As you can see, butter is so much more than just fat. We must stop thinking it’s synonymous with unhealthy, given that in the right amount, it can be beneficial to the body. What are you waiting for? Enjoy your toast with a small spread of butter!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- FEN, & de la Nutrición, F. F. E. (n.d.). Aceites y grasas. Alimentos y Bebidas. Retrieved December 9, 2022, from FEN. Fundación Española de la Nutrición website: https://www.fen.org.es/storage/app/media/flipbook/mercado-alimentos-fen/005-Aceites-Grasas.pdf
- ROJANO, BA, GAVIRIA, CA, & SÁEZ, JA (2009). DETERMINACIÓN DE LA ACTIVIDAD ANTIOXIDANTE EN UN MODELO DE PEROXIDACIÓN LIPÍDICA DE MANTEQUILLA INHIBIDA POR ISOESPINTANOL. Vitae , 15 (2). Obtenido de https://revistas.udea.edu.co/index.php/vitae/article/view/792
- Valenzuela Bonomo, A., & Uauy D., R. (1999). ¿Mantequilla o margarina, cual es mejor para consumir?: implicancias para la nutrición y salud humana. Rev. chil. nutr, 70–79. Retrieved from https://pesquisa.bvsalud.org/portal/resource/pt/lil-245412