How to Make a Delicious Cauliflower Sauce
When you try this delicious cauliflower sauce, any prejudices you may have against this vegetable will certainly disappear! Actually, many people don’t like cauliflower because of the strong smell it releases when you cook it.
It’s easy to prevent this smell from taking over your kitchen. You can add a stalk of celery, or a dash of milk, or a splash of vinegar, or some lemon to the water, in order to neutralize it.
Why should you include cauliflower in your diet?
A quick look at the nutritional properties of cauliflower will help you decide to include it in your meals. Doctors and nutritionists recommend including this vegetable in the daily diets of adults and children.
It’s a great source of B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6 and folic acid). A portion of cauliflower contains 80 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin C. It also provides vitamin K and proteins and it’s rich in important minerals for your body, such as magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, calcium and manganese.
It’s been proven that cauliflower strengthens your whole body and eating it frequently improves your health. What benefits does eating cauliflower have? Let’s take a look:
- Cardiovascular health. This is due to the vitamin K, which promotes blood circulation.
- Stomach ailments. Cauliflower’s high content of fiber helps you maintain good digestion.
- Delays ageing. This is because of its high content of antioxidants.
- Strengthens your skin and protects it from UV rays.
- Reduces cholesterol. Its content of omega-3 and fatty acids help to reduce LDL cholesterol levels.
- Stimulates your brain activity because it provides phosphorous. This is important for brain function and the nervous system in general.
- It helps to control diabetes because the vitamin C and potassium regulate the glucose in your blood.
There are no doubts as to the need to include cauliflower in your diet. You just have to find the right way to cook it, so it’s appetizing. If you do this, eating it can be a pleasure and not an obligation.
When people think about cooking cauliflower they usually think about boiling it. The most common image in people’s head is of the florets in pieces as a part of a salad. The idea of biting into a vegetable presented like that, may not sound enjoyable.
When it comes to children, the subject can become complicated; kids don’t really understand about healthy eating. They are interested in the taste and the look of what they’re eating, and cauliflower doesn’t have the best appearance.
But there are ways to hide cauliflower so that they can eat it without noticing it’s there! Cauliflower sauce is one of those ways to include it, so that’s it’s almost unnoticeable.
Cauliflower sauce recipe
This cauliflower sauce has a really creamy consistency. It will be accepted by everyone, because even those who don’t like cauliflower, won’t even notice it’s there!
- A cauliflower
- One onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- Milk or broth, quantity to taste
- A half cup of grated cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the thick stalk.
- Separate the florets.
- Blanch it in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Chop it or blend it.
- Chop the onion and garlic, and cook them in a pan with a splash of oil.
- Add the onion and the garlic to the blended cauliflower.
- Add the milk or the broth to taste or until you get the consistency you want.
- Mix with the grated cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Your sauce is ready!
Dishes with cauliflower sauce
It’s interesting to mix the cauliflower sauce with dishes that you really enjoy. This way, you’ll renew existing recipes and add great nutritional value.
Some ideas are:
- It’s the perfect sauce for pastas; let’s not forget about the versatility of pasta; it can be combined with almost any ingredient.
- Dressing to pair meats. Grilled beef, pork or chicken will taste delicious with some of this sauce.
- It works well as a stuffing for a chicken breast, a lasagna or moussaka.
Creativity is always a good ally. A few variations of the cauliflower sauce with other ingredients will allow you to recreate it and fit it to suit your personal taste.It might interest you...