How to Make Delicious Greengage Plum Coulis
Coulis is usually defined as a fruit concentrate with sugar, which is then passed through a strainer or a similar utensil. You can make coulis with any fruit, but today we have suggested this amazing greengage plum recipe for you to try. It’ll surprise you how easy it is to make and the great variety of recipes you can combine it with.
Greengage plum coulis recipe
- 17 ounces of greengage plums
- 2 ounces of sugar
- 1.4 fluid ounces of water
Firstly, wash the plums and chop them in half to remove the seeds. Once they’re in halves and seedless, put them in a pot with the sugar and water.
Cover the pot and wait for the contents to boil. Once it does, lower the heat and keep cooking for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
Finally, pass the mixture through a strainer to obtain a smooth coulis texture. That’s it! Only three ingredients and you’ll have an amazing and original coulis.
Health benefits of greengage plums
The most renowned fact about plums is that they have amazing laxative properties. That’s why experts recommend them for those who suffer from constipation, both occasional or chronic. If this is your case, a couple of plums after lunch and another two as a snack can be a great, natural and effective remedy for this kind of problem.
If on the contrary, you don’t have any bowel movement issues, then we suggest you eat plums in moderate quantities. Otherwise, you may experience stomach issues, due to their laxative effects. In the right amount, they’ll ease digestion and will help your body break down heavy foods.
Another great nutritional property of greengage plums is their high content of potassium, so they’re perfect for people with water retention or those who want to lose weight. Plus, potassium helps maintain the heart and kidneys. In addition to all of this, it’s worth mentioning that this fruit also has antioxidant properties!
Greengage plums are incredibly healthy fruits that everyone should add to their diet. We suggest that you try them especially during spring, which is the season with higher quality plums at a good price.
Which dishes work with coulis?
Greengage plum coulis can accompany any dish, either sweet or savory. Here, we’ll give you a couple of suggestions for recipes that work well with this delicious sauce.
- As decoration. One of the most common ways to use coulis on a dish, especially in haute cuisine, is as a decoration. Once you’ve cooked your meat or fish, and want to plate it in a special way, you can add a tablespoon of coulis to it. Put it in a straight line on the border of the plate or be creative with it!
- Icing. As we mentioned before, coulis can be combined with anything. You can use it to make desserts, such as cakes or cookies. It’s as simple as spreading a small quantity on top of your favorite sweets and letting it cool. Another good option is to cut a cake in half and fill it with coulis. We suggest that you use only a small quantity, because of the sweet taste.
- Ice cream. One of the most delicious ways to eat greengage plum coulis is as ice cream. So, this summer stop buying processed ice cream and make it yourself instead! It’s very easy and you can store it in the fridge for long periods of time. Plus, it’s much healthier than the ones you find at the supermarket. Follow your favorite ice cream recipe and once it’s ready, put it in a mold, alternating layers of ice cream and coulis. Make the coulis layers fairly thin and freeze the mold. After a few hours, you can serve and enjoy!