Make Your Own Nutella
Few people can resist a serving of Nutella. Even just a tiny spoonful is a pleasure. Its smell seduces, its texture works in any culinary creation, and its taste is almost addictive. You may be surprised to learn that it’s not only possible but quite easy to make your own Nutella at home.
What do you need to make your own Nutella?
You don’t have to be an expert chef to make your own delicious homemade Nutella. This product doesn’t require a huge amount of ingredients. Better still, the process of making it requires no more than six or seven steps. The greatest benefit of making your own Nutella lies in its value for health. If you make it at home, you can make sure that the mix will be free of chemicals or preservatives.
The only difficult requirement for most homemade Nutella recipes will probably be the food processor. It should be as powerful as possible so that you can get a smooth and delicate cream. People who prefer something a little chunkier can reduce the grinding time. What’s more, if you’re a fitness fanatic, you can easily make a light Nutella.
Tips for getting the perfect Nutella
The secret to getting the perfect Nutella is to peel the nuts very carefully. Whether we’re talking about almonds or hazelnuts, it’s important for you to bake them in the oven so that they detach from their shells. After baking them, rub them with a coarse cloth until they’re completely exposed.
Some nuts lose their shells before they’re toasted. Another option is to boil water with baking soda and submerge the nuts just as the liquid starts to boil. After a few minutes, move them to a container with cold water, or even some ice, so that the shell comes off on its own. When you use this method, you should dry the nuts before baking them in the oven.
What type of chocolate should you use when you make your own Nutella?
You can make Nutella with chocolate pieces or chocolate powder. It’s important to realize that if you use powder, the spread you produce may be drier. In order to smooth it out, a good trick is to add a touch of syrup or honey. Another option is to add more vanilla extract than the quantity required in the directions.
If you want to change the taste, one alternative to using normal chocolate is using flavored chocolate, dried orange, liquor, or coffee. It’s good practice not to choose any easily-perishable product, such as dairy products, so that you can store the Nutella for longer. If you make your own Nutella using the basic ingredients, it should last around two to three weeks.
Nutella with almonds and hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- One cup of hazelnuts
- Half a cup of refined sugar
- 1/2 cup of cacao
- 2 tablespoons of hazelnut, coconut, or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Also read: The Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Preheat the oven to 392 degrees F.
- Place the almonds and the hazelnuts on a tray and bake them in the oven for around 8 to 15 minutes. You should distribute them evenly across the tray so that they are each toasted to an equal degree.
- Once you’re done baking them, let them cool and remove all of the shells.
- Pour the nuts into the food processor and grind them well, until you begin to get a creamy mixture.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into the food processor too and keep grinding, until you get the texture you want.
- You can store your cream in a glass jar, which will help to maintain its aroma.
Nutella light in seven steps
- 3.5 ounces of previously toasted and peeled hazelnuts
- 3.5 ounces of pure, unsweetened dark chocolate, preferably in powder form
- A pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract to taste
- One tablespoon of hazelnut or coconut oil
- Almond or soy milk (as much as required)
- Sweetener to taste
See also: Nut and Seed Recipes
- Ideally, the hazelnuts should be peeled and toasted. You can also buy them in slices to make toasting them in the oven easier. The oven temperature should be around 396 to 392 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using whole hazelnuts, you should toast them with the shell on, so that you can remove it more easily, once they’ve cooled.
- Put the hazelnuts with a pinch of salt and the sweetener into the food processor.
- When it’s sufficiently blended, add the rest of the ingredients, with the exception of the milk and the oil. Then continue to mix the substance.
- If you don’t have cacao powder to hand, you can buy it in bar form and melt it in the microwave or in a bain-marie. Do not overheat or burn this.
- When the mix takes on a creamy consistency, add the oil.
- If you want a watery texture, add some extra drops of milk and keep mixing it until the spread takes on the characteristics you want.