A mixed salad is a dish that can be eaten alone or accompanied by another meal. In addition, when green vegetables are its base, there are so many nutritional benefits for our bodies. Our digestion improves and so does our fat processing. That’s why a mixed salad is always an ideal choice, before or during a meal.
The word ‘mixed’ refers to the combination of several vegetables. The recipe for this type of salad is not exclusive; however, it retains the main lettuce base. It’s usually accompanied by tomato, onion, and egg.
Dressings and sauces are other variations of the mixed salad. In its most classic version, it’s seasoned with olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar. But, depending on tastes and preferences, you can use a variety of different combinations.
The mixed salad is a very refreshing dish that works very well as an entree or companion. The lightness, but also the combination of its ingredients, can turn this salad into a complete meal. In addition, you can mix it up depending on the preferences of the diner.
Classic mixed salad
The mixed salad is a very popular dish at many tables; usually, it’s original version contains tuna and egg. It’s normally used as a garnish for heavy meat or fish dishes, although it can be a good option for a healthy dinner.
- ½ medium head of lettuce
- 2 potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tomato (peeled)
- 4 white asparagus
- ¼ cup of olives
- 3.53 ounces of canned tuna
- Olive oil
- In a pot of boiling water, boil the eggs for 10 minutes and the potatoes for around 25 minutes. Remove from the water when cooked and leave to cool.
- Wash the lettuce leaves, drain well and cut them into medium pieces.
- Cut the potatoes into slices, the eggs into quarters and cut the peeled tomato in a crescent shape.
- To serve, place the potatoes in the bottom of a dish. Add the lettuce, eggs, and tomatoes.
- Crumble the tuna and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
- Finally, add the olives and asparagus.
- Season with olive oil, vinegar, and salt when serving.
Mixed salad with cheese
One way to texture a mixed salad is to use a lettuce mixture as a base. This consists of combining several types of lettuce. You can even add arugula and escarole.
- 10.58 ounces of mixed lettuce
- 3 eggs
- 2.82 ounces of cheese
- 8 nuts
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Cook the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let them cool in cold water.
- Wash the lettuce, drain and cut into medium pieces.
- Cut the cheese into small squares and chop the nuts.
- To serve, place the lettuce mixture on the bottom of the plate. Add the eggs (sliced), cheese, and nuts.
- For the dressing, add the vinegar and olive oil in a separate bowl. Emulsify and add to the salad when serving.
- Finish with a pinch of salt.
Mixed salad with radish and ginger
The combination of radish and ginger can give a mixed salad an exotic and spicy flavor. Additionally, the radish provides another type of texture, which favors the palate when enjoying this dish. If you prefer spicy foods, we recommend using long radishes.
- 1 cup of lettuce
- 1 cup of fresh escarole
- Four tins of asparagus
- 1 radish
- 7 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- Olive oil
- Wash the lettuce and escarole in fresh water, and cut into strips. It’s important to drain all of the water well.
- Cut the pepper and radish into slices. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Peel the ginger and shred about ¼ cup.
- In a dish, place the lettuce mixture at the bottom. Add the tomatoes and the pepper.
- Finally, add the radish and the ginger. It’s recommended to gradually add the ginger to achieve the desired flavor.
- For the dressing, emulsify the vinegar with the olive oil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add to the rest of the elements.
- Finish decorating with the asparagus.