Properties and Benefits of Red Berries
Who doesn’t enjoy red berries? We mostly use them as a decoration to top a dessert, but they’re actually much more than that. These fruits can offer plenty of health benefits for our bodies. Keep on reading to discover all of their properties and benefits. It will surprise you!
What can red berries offer us?
Red berries are a food group that encompasses many varieties. Consequently, listing each property, of every type of berry, is an impossible task.
If we compare vitamin levels between each variety, they might seem very similar, but they do slightly differ. Below, we’re going to take a closer look at the properties of just some of the most consumed red berries.
- Strawberries: rich in antioxidants
- Cranberries: prevents infections and diseases
- Red currants: high vitamin C content
- Blackberries: reduce triglyceride and cholesterol levels in bloodstream
Benefits of eating red berries
From a nutritional standpoint, these fruits are an amazing food. You can add them to both sweet and savory dishes alike. By adding these fruits to your daily diet, you’ll notice the following benefits in no time.
- High fiber content and low in calories. One of the best properties and benefits that they have is their low caloric content, and high levels of fiber. They fit perfectly into diets for those who’re looking to slim down or simply just want to eat healthier. Fiber also aids in digestion, making red berries a strong ally against constipation. Considering their high fiber content, you should eat red berries in small servings; large servings could be harmful for your stomach.
- Lessens the appearance of wrinkles. Thanks to their vitamin C content, red berries can help your skin. To be specific, they diminish the appearance of wrinkles, in addition to keeping the skin firm and young. People who start to see expression lines, should include them in their diets.
- Regulates blood sugar levels. Red berries are generally very sweet. However, unlike other foods, they release glucose slowly over time. Their slow release means no spikes of glucose, unlike our experiences with other foods. In any case, diabetic patients should still consume them in small servings.
- Prevents memory loss. Thanks to their neuro-protector properties, these delicious fruits can prevent memory loss.
- Prevents urinary infections. If you’re prone to suffering from urinary infections, we recommend eating a handful of red berries every day. You should begin to see your symptoms improving in no time.
How to include red berries in your everyday diet
Including these fruits in your daily menu is simple. It won’t be difficult, because they’re sweet and flavorful. The recipes below, will make your mouth water.
- Yogurt with red berries. This is a healthy snack option that adds a handful of these fruits to natural, low-fat yogurt. In the summer, you can use frozen fruit to enjoy a healthy and refreshing snack.
- Red berry pancakes. You can’t find many breakfasts that are healthier and more appetizing than pancakes. If you want to make them even more tempting, we suggest topping them off with red berries and some chocolate chips. It’s a treat to start the day with energy.
- Cereal bars. You might not believe it, but making cereal at home is very simple, and these bars also keep well. Using a knife, chop some raspberries and add them into the cereal bar mixture. When you’re ready to try one, they’ll be soft and juicy, making a perfect contrast against the cereal.
- Red berry cake. Another simple way of incorporating these fruits to your diet is by adding a handful of them to cake batter. Here, you’ll find a healthy cake recipe that you can marry with red berries. You can make a scrumptious cake.