Delicious Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
For fans of good cuisine, tomato sauce is synonymous with pleasure and satisfaction. It goes perfectly well with pastas, meats and stews. It’s a recipe that will never bore you or go out of style. To learn how to cook a delicious, homemade tomato sauce, we invite you to try this classic Italian recipe.
Health benefits of tomatoes
Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A and C, therefore, they act as natural antioxidants, fighting free radicals and cell damage. They also provide a good amount of calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, iron, vitamin K and B complex. Because of this, they help to strengthen your immune system and improve your physical endurance.
Tomatoes don’t have many calories, so this food can be a great ally for people who want to lose weight in a healthy way. It’s estimated that 17 ounces of tomatoes only contain 100 calories.
It’s also important to consider the low fat levels found in tomatoes; this means that people with cardiovascular diseases can also enjoy them.
Tomatoes contain a substance called niacin, which is a natural way to control cholesterol. The frequent consumption of tomato juice is a great homemade remedy to regulate the LDL cholesterol levels in your blood.
On the other hand, tomatoes have a good percentage of fiber, so they’re very efficient in facilitating the intestinal transit, improving your digestion and preventing constipation.
Let’s not forget about its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties for your skin; the use of tomato juice or facial masks is helpful to fight acne, infections and skin allergies.
Basic tomato sauce recipe for pastas and pizza
This classic tomato sauce recipe is a great accompaniment for regular, whole and tasty pasta dishes. You can also use it to spread over homemade pizza, with a sprinkle of oregano.
- 7 dried tomatoes (or canned peeled tomatoes)
- Half of a red pepper, finely chopped
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Half a cup of white wine
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of sugar
- If you choose to use fresh tomatoes, you’ll need to cook them first. To do so, you can use two methods. Either grate them and use the pulp, without the seeds. Or alternatively, you can peel them, remove the seeds, and then blend them. If you use canned tomatoes then you’ll only need to mash them.
- Keep the pulp aside and start preparing the vegetables.
- In a pan, add olive oil and sauté the onion, pepper and the finely chopped garlic. Afterwards, you can season them with salt to help them to release their juices.
- When the vegetables are almost golden brown, add the tomato pulp with a pinch of sugar.
- Mix for a few minutes, then add the white wine and lower the heat to the minimum, until the sauce is reduced.
- After one hour of slow cooking, your tomato sauce will be well cooked, tasty, delicious and very fragrant.
Some tips to make a perfect tomato sauce
- The biggest secret for a good tomato sauce is cooking it slowly, over a low heat. Cooking in a hurry is usually the enemy of classic preparations, because the small details make a difference. You must spend enough time to make a delicious tomato sauce, and be careful not to burn the preparation.
- From this basic recipe, you can make different sauces by adding new ingredients. An example of a tasty and healthy preparation, is by adding sautéed eggplants and a few basil leaves. If you want a stronger flavor, you can add some chorizo and a touch of spicy pepper.
- You can keep this tomato sauce in the fridge for up to five days in airtight containers. If you choose to freeze it, you can keep it for up to six months.