5 Things to Look for When Buying a Bicycle
Are you thinking about buying a bicycle? A bicycle ride is the best transportation method there is for your health and the environment. In addition, bikes are very comfortable and come in many models that adapt to your style and tastes. In this article, take a look at everything you should know when buying a bicycle.
Tips for buying a bicycle
If you’ve decided to start biking, you’ll have to know how to choose one so it doesn’t end up collecting dust at home. As such, we’d like to point out five things you should know before buying a bike.
The kind of biking you’re going to do
Firstly, there are different styles, shapes, sizes, and colors of bicycles. You should also consider the type of road that you’ll be using, what you’ll use it for, and even where you’ll be storing it. By taking these aspects into account, your bike will be perfect to take on roads with stones, potholes, slopes, and stops.
How often you’ll use it
If your bike is going to be your main means of transport, opt for one that’s reliable and made from quality materials. Indeed, these points can make sure your bike can handle the many road conditions it will face. As such, you’ll need:
- A bicycle that lets you keep a firm, straight, and relaxed posture. This way, you’ll be able to maneuver it safely and avoid possible accidents.
- Brakes that are guaranteed to work in inclined, wet, and muddy paths.
- A chain guard to avoid any issues with your clothes. In addition, it should have a fender to prevent your clothes from getting dirty when riding through water or mud.
- Heavy-duty frames that can withstand heavy loads and sturdy wheels.
- A comfortable seat that’s as ergonomic as possible.
Find out more about: Benefits of Cycling Every Day
Otherwise, if the bicycle is for occasional use you won’t need something as sophisticated.
The most popular kinds of bicycles
Remember that a bicycle, depending on how often and how you use it, should be relaxed and comfortable. As such, you can choose between the following types of bicycles for more frequent riding.
They tend to be very versatile since they combine the features of a mountain bike with those of a road bike. What’s more, they offer the flexibility to adapt to different roads without compromising comfort.
They’re usually for paved areas in urban areas. They’re ideal for storage in small spaces. You can also combine it with another type of transport and take it anywhere. One draw-back is that they’re expensive and aren’t ideal for uneven terrain.
They’re bicycles with reduced functionality, although they’re quite efficient. What’s more, they come with different types of handlebars and in various styles.
They’re great for the city and urban areas with a sidewalk. They have a simple gear system, making parking and taking off much simpler.
Another excellent option is the electric bike, which features an engine that makes it easier to pedal. It’s ideal for steep hills and those who go to work or have joint problems.
Read more about: The Benefits of Biking To Work
Another factor to take into account when buying a bicycle is its size. Indeed, there are sizes that go according to height. For example, a person who measures 1.60 m (5 ft 3 in) must buy a bicycle size 16. Also, you should keep your weight and that of the bicycle in mind. As such, you’ll avoid having a very heavy bike that would be hard to maneuver.
There are bicycles with a single plate that makes pedaling more efficient and resistant. Also, there are double plate bikes where pedaling is easier due to its various speeds.
Follow these tips in addition to the five points we’ve mentioned before choosing a bicycle:
- Take a look at what material the frame is made of. For example, they can be made of aluminum, steel, or titanium; they should be high-quality, resistant, and flexible.
- Take the bike for a test ride and make sure it has the right measurements for your legs and arms.
- Don’t forget to buy safety gear – a helmet, as well as knee and elbow pads.
In conclusion, buying a bicycle is one of the best investments you can make. Still, make sure you get the right one so you can enjoy the ride!It might interest you...