Coleslaw is an extremely popular dish and is found on most American tables. You can find it there as a side dish for barbecued meat, chicken meals, or hamburgers. This delicious recipe has become popular all throughout the world on the basis of its taste.
Cabbage is, without a doubt, among the vegetables with the lowest fat and calorie content. Aside from that, it contains fiber, potassium, and vitamin C in high amounts. Not only that, but some experts say it has anti-cancer properties.
Even though this type of salad tends to go with mayonnaise, you can make a lighter version of it. That way, you’ll be able to eat it guilt free! In whichever one of its forms you choose to have it, it’s an excellent choice for the whole family.
In this article, we’ll give you some of the best coleslaw recipes out there. We present you with the recipe for basic coleslaw as well as a light version of it. That way, you can choose the option that best fits your tastes and lifestyle choices.
Basic coleslaw with white and red cabbage
This is one of the most valued guests at American barbecues! This coleslaw is simple and extremely easy to make. Crunchy and creamy at the same time, it’s a dish that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Ingredients (for approximately four people):
- 1/4 of a whole white cabbage
- 1/4 of a whole red cabbage
- Four medium carrots
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- One teaspoon of mustard
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the external leaves of the cabbage. Then julienne it, cutting it in long thin strips. Place the strips of cabbage into a big and deep container.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Then grate them with a hand grater or dice them into very small pieces. Place them into the container with the cabbage.
- Use another container to prepare the dressing. Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and the lemon juice. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Put the dressing on top of the cabbage and the carrot. Mix very well until the dressing has completely blended with the vegetables. Taste to check the level of seasoning and if necessary, add more salt and pepper.
- For a more intense taste, let the salad sit for a few hours in the refrigerator.
You can eat this salad as a main dish or as a side dish with barbecued beef, chicken, or fish. It’s perfect for putting it on the same dish as fruits and vegetables because it adds a bittersweet flavor to them.
See also: Health Benefits of Lean Protein
Ingredients (for four people):
- One small cabbage
- 1 large apple
- 1/2 onion
- 75 dry cranberries
- 2.6 ounces of almonds
For the dressing:
- 1 Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Apple vinegar, 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the external leaves of the cabbage, cut it in half, and julienne it into thin slices. Cut it peel the carrots. You can also julienne them or, if you prefer, grate them.
- Wash the apple and cut it in half. Take out the core and cut it into thin strips. Peel the onion and also julienne it into thin strips.
- Put everything into a large and deep bowl. Add the cranberries and the sliced almonds. Mix everything well so that it’s uniformly blended, then set it aside.
- Next, use a separate container for the dressing. Put all of the ingredients together: the yogurt, mayonnaise, the honey, and the vinegar. Season everything with salt and pepper. Mix until you end up with a smooth, shiny sauce.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and mix everything until it’s blended together. Give the salad a final taste and add salt or pepper if necessary.
- It’s best to prepare the apple coleslaw a few hours before serving it. You can keep it in the refrigerator, covered with some clear plastic wrap so as to preserve the sharpness of the taste.
Ingredients (for two people):
- Cabbage (white or red)
- A natural skim yogurt
- A small carrot
- One small green apple
- Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon
- Apple vinegar or lemon juice, two tablespoons
- Smooth olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Also read: Strawberries and Yogurt – A Light Breakfast
- Wash the cabbage and the carrots, then julienne them or grate them with a mandoline. Wash the apple and remove the core. Cut it in half and cut it in thin, long strips. Put all of this into a container.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the oil, the mustard, the yogurt, and the vinegar or lemon in a separate container. Season this with salt and pepper and the mix everything well, until it becomes a uniform sauce.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix everything so that it blends together well. Taste it and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Let it sit for a short while in the refrigerator before serving.