Factors That Influence Weight Loss The Most

Losing weight is the goal of most gym members, but it's not enough to just get your body moving. Nutrition, for example, is among the factors that influence weight loss the most.
Factors That Influence Weight Loss The Most

Last update: 02 August, 2018

Be it for their health or appearance, there are more and more people who try to lose weight. Getting to know the factors that influence weight loss the most makes reaching that goal much easier.

Health or appearance?

According to the World Health Organization, 39 percent of adults (18 years and older) are overweight. What’s more, it is a condition that is affecting an increasing number of children.

Every day, there are people around the world who are dying from being obese or overweight. This has led to health organizations putting forward healthy solutions and lifestyles. There are also campaigns to encourage healthy diets and exercise as a way to stay in shape.

woman standing on scale while holding measurement tape

There are also reasons related to appearance. Both male and female models are usually slender. What’s more, this stereotype is engrained in popular culture. The influence of celebrities, the media, and a world dedicated to appearances all contribute to that image.

Why are there more overweight people around the world?

Today’s lifestyle is the main culprit. Social changes have brought about two harmful habits.

  • Firstly, there is the consumption of food that is high in fat and flour. The purchasing of fast food and opting for industrial flavoring that is not very healthy, are some of the factors that influence weight loss the most.
  • A drop in physical activity. The decrease in physical activity is due to the nature of many jobs, the ease of transport by car, and urbanization, which makes movement less necessary. There is also technology that replaces movement and makes more people live sedentary lifestyles.
woman working at desk with ergonomic equipment

Paying attention to these two things will help you to tackle two of the factors that influence weight loss the most: food and exercise. However, they are not the only ones. You should not stop eating or exceed your limits at the gym. Any attempt to slim down, no matter the reason, should be done while keeping your health in mind.

What are the factors that influence weight loss the most?

Food accounts for an estimated 70 percent of failed attempts to lose weight. The other 30 percent is linked to exercise. In other words, to lose weight, you have to follow a lifestyle that encourages weight loss. It is not easy, but it is possible.

  • First, anyone that is ready to slim down has to really be determined to lose weight. Weight loss is an attitude more than anything. If you are not wholly convinced and ready, you will only fool yourself and end up failing.
  • Emotional stress can work against you. Your body’s metabolism is impacted whenever you go through a complicated emotional phase.
  • What about entertainment and fun? There are people for whom eating is a way to pass the time and to avoid boredom. If they are home alone, they eat to avoid becoming depressed.
woman with a mouth full of sub factors that influence weight loss the most

An obsession with eating is one of the factors that influence weight loss the most. As such, you will need to change your relationship with food. You will have to stop seeing food as entertainment and a source of enjoyment.

The most important food factors

  • One secret is to avoid a sudden and abrupt change in the way you eat. Neither the body nor the mind can endure going from everything to nothing; you will have to do it gradually.
  • The first step is to reduce your portions and try to substitute junk food for more natural options. Fruit, vegetables, and natural snacks are good places to start. In addition, you will have to get rid of soda and flours.
  • To slim down, you  will have to burn stored fat and gain muscle mass. In other words, you will have to exercise more. Aerobics is especially useful for weight loss.
  • Water is vital. There are times where you might think you are hungry but you are actually thirsty. Instead of drinking, a person will eat when their body actually wants water. Drinking plenty of water is a healthy habit that will improve your health and help you to lose weight.

Finally, following a diet plan made by a dietician will get you the best results.


This text is provided for informational purposes only and does not replace consultation with a professional. If in doubt, consult your specialist.