Three Delicious and Healthy Recipes with Potatoes
There are so many different ways to cook potatoes and they make great side dishes for a variety of meals. If you want to take advantage of all their nutrients, follow these healthy and delicious recipes with potatoes.
You might like: How to Make Potato Salad
The potato is a tuber that originated in Peru. As time passed, it was exported and cultivated in many other countries. Today, it’s one of the most important food sources of human beings around the world.
The potato is also rich in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins D and B6. Additionally, it’s a great source of minerals such as iron, potassium, and magnesium. Therefore, eating potatoes regularly can help your body receive essential nutrients.
Having said that, now the question is how you can prepare or eat potatoes. There are ways to make potatoes that are certainly unhealthy for your body. The most obvious example would be French fries. Therefore, the best thing to do is to find out how to prepare them in a healthy way.
Healthy recipes with potatoes
1. Greek moussaka with potatoes and beef: recipes with potatoes
Moussaka is a dish that originates in the Balkans. Usually, it’s prepared with eggplant and lamb. However, this is the Greek version, which is potato-based.
This beef and potato moussaka recipe is very sophisticated, substantial and, especially, healthy! Therefore, you can enjoy this dish with no regrets!
- 5 large potatoes
- Olive oil
- 17 ounces of ground beef
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 14 ounces of canned tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of plain yogurt, no sugar added
- 2 eggs
- Peel the potatoes and then put them into boiling water for about three minutes. Once they’ve softened, slice them and put them onto a plate.
- Cook the onions in a frying pan with a dash of olive oil. Then, mix in the ground beef and some salt and pepper. When the meat turns a brown color, add flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 392 degrees F.
- In a rectangular baking dish, put a little olive oil and then add a layer of potatoes. On top of that, add a layer of meat and repeat until all the potatoes and meat have been placed in the dish.
- Lastly, mix the yogurt, eggs, and cheese together well. Add a pinch of nutmeg before adding this mixture to the baking dish as the final layer
- Bake in the oven for half an hour. Once the moussaka is cooked, you can serve it with cooked asparagus or spinach.
2. Ramekin scalloped potatoes with broccoli and apple
Ramekin recipes are elegant and so simple to serve. This recipe is perfect for a light afternoon snack, plus it’s got a touch of sweetness thanks to the apple.
Additionally, broccoli contains vitamins A and C, potatoes are a great source of folic acid, and apples help reduce cholesterol levels. As a result, this dish offers many health benefits, in addition to being very delicious.
- 0.8 ounces of blue cheese
- 2.5 ounces of red or green apple, diced
- 21 ounces of potatoes, thinly sliced
- 5.6 ounces of broccoli
- half a pint of plain Greek yogurt, no sugar added
- 3 egg yolks
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 392 degrees F.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for four minutes. Then, remove and submerge in cold water. Repeat with the potatoes, but without putting them in cold water afterward.
- Grease the ramekin baking dishes with olive oil and place a portion of potatoes into each.
- Next, mix together the apple, broccoli, and cheese and divide this mixture evenly into each ramekin.
- Now, mix the yogurt with the egg yolks and some salt and pepper and pour this mixture evenly into each ramekin mold.
- Finally, put the ramekins in the oven and bake for nine minutes.
- Serve the ramekins with a side of salad if you desire.
3. Chicken and pesto potatoes: more recipes with potatoes
This dish with potatoes, chicken, and pesto is one of the easiest recipes with potatoes, and you’ll love it. The combination of flavors is delicious. Additionally, it’s very simple to prepare and provides you with protein, fiber, and vitamins.
- 12 small potatoes
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 handfuls of fresh cut basil
- 3.5 ounces of Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
You might like: The 3 Best Protein-Packed Stews
- Mix the basil, cheese, and garlic in a food processor on medium speed. Pour in a little olive oil until it has a thick consistency. Then, juice the lemon and add the liquid to the mixture.
- Put this pesto mixture into the refrigerator and continue with the rest of the recipe.
- Now, cut the potatoes into halves and place them in a saucepan with salted water. When it begins to boil, turn down the heat and cook on low heat for eight to ten minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Once they’re ready, drain them and set them aside.
- Heat up a frying pan, then pour in a little olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and let it cook on both sides in the oil.
- Lastly, add the pesto, tomatoes, and potatoes, and serve.
Potatoes are wholesome, nutritious and delicious. It’s time you tried new ways of cooking potatoes so you can enjoy all their goodness! There’s no better way than to start with these healthy and delicious recipes with potatoes!It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Westermann, D. T. (2005). Nutritional requirements of potatoes. In American Journal of Potato Research (Vol. 82, pp. 301–307). Potato Association of America. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02871960
- Camire, M. E. (2016). Potatoes and Human Health. In Advances in Potato Chemistry and Technology: Second Edition (pp. 685–704). Elsevier Inc. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-800002-1.00023-6